• Shylo

Realities: AR Mobile Game - Catopia

Updated: Mar 25, 2019


This is a work in progress. Constructive feedback is appreciated.


Project brief:

In January 2018 HVREdev started a new experiment we called "role-play studio." During this experiment we would each perform the role we wanted experience in most for a mock game studio that was to make a mobile AR game within 12 months. As a milestone we elected to also enter the Sweden VR competition with our first iteration of the project.


Project role:

Others in the group voiced a desire to get leadership experience, so I stepped back to be the "client" or "executive director" to make room for others to be "project managers" but still be available for feedback and guidance throughout the project. Later in the project, as our team was reduced from 20 to 8, I participated more in design and direction.


Software used:

Wix

Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, & Forms

Discord

OBS Studio

Adobe Premier

Adobe XD

Unity 3D

Photoshop


Hardware used:

Samsung Note 8 (testing)

Computers with internet


Experience gained:

Realities - AR Design: guidance on scope, interaction, mechanics, environment, characters, assets, level progression, balancing, & testing.

General management, motivation, guidance, and organization.

Published project on Google Play

Project Process


Planning:

Early on my bigger role was to manage the group. This included things like taking care of the website, creating the forum on Discord, setting up Trello boards for each department, and finding participants & mentors.


I recruited new members, created applications with Google Forms, reviewed filled applications, and finally contacted applicants and matched them with their roles. I provided guidance to each participant on their role, and wrote definitions for each role specifically.


I defined the project to match the number and type of participants and their roles. I created a design document in project Google Drive that was used as a living document throughout the project.


I created a Google Slides for the kickoff defining the timeline, weekly schedules to follow, online file systems, and templates for meetings using Google Docs and Sheets that I also created for the project.


I also found the Sweden VR competition to create a milestone for the group to work towards.


As the "client" I met with them once per week online, reviewing what they had done that week, and what they planned to do the next, keeping them on the timeline and within the scope needed to meet deadlines.


Iteration:

After the submitting for the Sweden VR competition we lost a large number of participants due to schedules and obligations. This included all of the designers on the project. Since our budget was people and their volunteer time, I treated it like a very large budget cut, and reduced the scope to around 20% of what the designers had left behind. With the gap in roles we found ways for those who remained to "multitask" and take on additional roles much like a small studio. I found myself in a designers seat much of the time during meetings, especially directing scope & game feel, but left much of the visual design to the artists, and mechanics to the single developer left on the team.


At a point I began uploading the meetings to YouTube using OBS Studio. We wanted to keep it all-age friendly, so on occasion when an "unacceptable" word slipped out in meetings I would have to edit video using Adobe Premier.


I created an interactive wireframe in Adobe XD to illustrate our UI functionality.


We publically tested in the last few weeks of the project, and published the game. I wrote the Google Form for testing reports etc.


Next steps:

If the game gains enough interest, we may further iterate. Currently it's a playable demo with two levels. We created the game to be modular, making additional levels easy to add.


Project results:

The resulting game can be found on Google Play as Catopia.








© 2020 / Altelier LLC / AltelierVR@gmail.com